The fireplace is still the centrepiece of most British homes. If your fireplace is looking tired or you just feel like a change, a few coats of Stonelux® Fireplace Paint can make your surround look brand new and make all the difference to your room.
Read on to see how easy it is to paint your fireplace.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Stonelux® Fireplace Paint
- Natural Bristled Brush
- Sanding Block or Sand Paper
- Masking Tape & Dust Sheet (if required)
To ensure you achieve a professional finish, make sure the surround is well prepared prior to painting.
- Masking – if you’re not confident cutting in, apply a suitable masking tape around the edges of the surround to protect your wall or wallpaper.
- Sanding – A light sanding is recommended for wooden, shiny and pre-painted surfaces. Sanding helps to smooth any imperfections, remove stubborn dirt and provides a key for the Primer to adhere to.
- Clean – make sure the surround is clean and dry.
- Surface Defects – fill any surface defects or damage with an appropriate filler.
TAKE TIME TO PRIME
- Priming is key to extra adhesion and helps block out any background colours too.
- Prime the surface to be painted using Stonelux® Primer & Undercoat. Priming will ensure you achieve a long lasting and hard wearing finish with the minimum number of coats. One coat of Primer should be sufficient, unless you are making a significant colour change, then two coats may save you some time later on.
- Soot – any soot stained surfaces should be treated with a water based stain blocker prior to application of Stonelux® Primer & Undercoat.
We recommend you apply a minimum of 3 coats of Stonelux® Fireplace Paint – it may be a little time consuming, but we assure you the beautiful finish and money saved is well worth the effort.
A BEAUTIFUL STONE FIREPLACE
- Economy Natural Bristled Brush or Roller – using an soft Economy Natural Bristled Brush or a roller, apply a minimum of 3 coats of Stonelux Fireplace Paint onto your primed surround. Stonelux paints are water based and quick drying, meaning you can re-coat in as little as one hour, just ensure the last coat is dry to touch before applying the next.
- TIP: DRYING TIME CAN BE REDUCED BY CIRCULATING AIR AROUND THE SURFACE YOU HAVE PAINTED WITH A FAN
- Eliminate Brush Marks – applying multiple thin even coats with an economy natural bristled brush will help eliminate brush marks, but if some do remain, you can finish the final coat with stippling or feather-like brush strokes.
CARING FOR YOUR PAINTED FIREPLACE
Stonelux® Fireplace Paint contains real ground stone, and your new stone effect fireplace should be cared for in the same way as a natural stone surround.
- General Cleaning – simply remove any dust and ash from your fireplace using the brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner, or a dustpan and brush.
- Stubborn Dirt – More stubborn dirt can be removed using warm soapy water and a soft bristled brush (we recommend a brush, as you may find that a cloth catches or ‘snags’ on the natural stone texture in the paint).